Re: Insert Euro symbol

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Insert Euro symbol
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 11:52:43 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Why not augment the existing input methods to do what you find
> convenient in C-x 8, or make a new input method, if augmenting
> existing ones is impractical?

Ah, I think I made a mistake in phrasing my message.  Here is what I
really want:

Normally I use input method X but every once in a while I'd like to
insert a character which is not in input method X.  I would like a
convenient method to press a couple of keys that lead to insertion of
this character.  Preferably a mnemonic key sequence :-)

I don't think of C-x 8 as an implementation method, I only think of
it as a way to type a sequence of keys to achieve what I want.

Your suggestion of augmenting german-prefix to also make it possible
to enter the euro sign is a good suggestion.  However, it will not
work for all cases.  Input methods generally frob keys which are
normally self-inserting.  But if too many of the self-inserting keys
change their meaning, usage of the self-inserting keys becomes
cumbersome.  (That's what I don't want to use latin-1-prefix: it
frobs the "'" key which I use often.)

So I would like to have a method which starts with a key which is
normally not self-inserting.  And C-x 8 just came to mind as an
example.  It doesn't have to be C-x 8.

Does this explain what I'm looking for?

(Incidentally, I think it might be nice to be able to insert named
characters.  So the user hits a key, then types, say "LATIN CAPITAL
LETTER A WITH OGONEK" (with completion), and then that character is
inserted.  This is, of course, orthogonal to the C-x 8 feature.)

kai
--
Silence is foo!