Re: address@hidden: Re: CC (was: Re: kill ring menu)]

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: CC (was: Re: kill ring menu)]
Date: 03 May 2002 21:12:39 +0900

Paul Michael Reilly <address@hidden> writes:
> If either a Mail-Followup-To or Mail-Copies-To header exists in the
> message being replied to AND the user has not edited the default
> reply-to list at mail-send time, then the followup header(s) will be
> processed and any mailboxes indicated by the header(s) will be
> included in the reply.  "never" and "nobody" will be treated as
> synonymous, as will "always" and "poster".

It's a bit hard to tell from the above paragraph the actual algorithm you
intend to use, but here's what I gather is correct way to calculate
outgoing addresses for followups (the MFT parts are based on Dan
Bernstein's FAQ about MFT <http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html>):

   If the message has a Mail-Followup-To: header, then
       outgoing To: <= incoming Mail-Followup-To:
       outgoing CC: <= empty
       ;; you can also optionally add an outgoing Mail-Followup-To: if
       ;; the current user is on the mailing list; it should probably just
       ;; be a copy of the incoming Mail-Followup-To: in that case.]
   else if the message has a Mail-Copies-To: header, then
       if the MCT header contains `never' or `nobody', then
           outgoing To: <= incoming To:
           outgoing CC: <= incoming CC:
       else if the MCT header contains `always' or `poster', then
           ;; this is the same as the default (no MCT/MFT) case
           outgoing To: <= incoming Reply-To:/From:
           outgoing CC: <= incoming CC: + To:
       else (the MCT header contains some addresses)
           outgoing To: <= incoming Mail-Copies-To:
           outgoing CC: <= incoming CC: + To:
   else (the message has no MFT/MCT header)
       outgoing To: <= incoming Reply-To:/From:
       outgoing CC: <= incoming CC: + To:

This is all calculated when generating the message to insert into the
reply buffer, before popping it up and letting the user type into it.
There doesn't seem to be any need to detect whether the user modified a
header or anything like that.

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff