Re: Insert Euro symbol

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Insert Euro symbol
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 21:59:20 +0200

> It seems like a serious drawback that the latin-1-postfix input method
> (and other similar ones) does not provide for inputting Latin-1 (or
> whichever character set's) nonalphabetic characters.

The latin-1-postfix method allows for inserting a lot of nonletters.
There is no latin-9-postfix, but latin-9-prefix allows for inserting
the Euro sign.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding here?

Originally, I was asking for a C-x 8 sequence to insert the Euro sign
(which is not part of Latin-1, only of Latin-9), but the theme of the
thread has since changed:

Suppose I use the german-prefix input method, which allows convenient
input of ä but not é.  I don't want to use the latin-1-prefix input
method because it changes the behavior of the ' key which I don't
want.  Nevertheless, I have a friend named André and so I want to be
able to type his name correctly.  At the moment, I use C-x 8 ' e to
type the nonascii character.

C-x 8 uses an obsolete method for entering characters, so it's a good
idea to replace it with something more modern.  But, IMVHO, just
telling people to use input methods won't cut it.  For entering a
single character, I have to type C-u C-\, select the latin-1-prefix
input method, type ' e to enter the character, then type C-u C-\ to
switch back to my normal german-prefix input method.  This is
inconvenient.

While we're changing C-x 8 anyway, support could be added for entering
non-Latin-1 characters, as well.  (In particular, the Euro sign.)

kai
--
Silence is foo!