Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)
Date: 03 May 2002 20:39:35 -0400

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

   Maybe we could create a "preferences" page which contains toggles
   for, say, 25 commonly used options, and also a link to the customize
   group for that option.  That would allow novice users to quickly get
   to some of the more advanced options of emacs.

here's another idea: w/ support from a "graphical expect" framework and
some magicpoint generation macros, someone could write a demo (in elisp)
and link it to the customize (or other) preference-setting interfaces.

i imagine arrows dancing around the screen, some question like "these
are fringes -- do you belong to the minimalist school of thought; i.e.,
would you prefer to remove them?", a small button "no", and a HUGE
button "yes please oh yes what were the emacs hackers thinking?!"....

(ok, it's probably evident user interface design is not my forte. ;-)

thi