Re: enhanced select-safe-coding-system

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: enhanced select-safe-coding-system
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 21:36:57 -0600 (MDT)

    They look like the right sort of changes, but you want to break this
    line so that it's obvious that `coding-system' is being returned.

    > !               (error "Save aborted")))))    coding-system))

Thanks.

    If you want to make select-safe-coding-system more helpful, you could
    also use code like this to find at least the first unencodable
    character and display that part of the buffer when
    select-safe-coding-system needs to prompt for a coding system.  Emacs
    20 used to do something similar, but it was only necessary to check
    charsets then.

This is a feature we want very much.  I would install this, except
that Stefan already seems to have something faster.