Re: Enhancements to "minor-mode-map-alist" functionality.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Enhancements to "minor-mode-map-alist" functionality.
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 21:37:23 -0600 (MDT)

    I still think that addition of the emulation-mode-map-alist does not
    add to the complexity of emacs' keymap functionality [I've already
    written the code, and it is trivial] -- it actually makes it simpler
    for packages to setup their own keymaps.

Would you please show me concretely where this is needed?

    I don't have any _new_ arguments in favour of this view -- but I really,
    really, really feel strongly that the current features are inadequate.

That's not the question.  We're discussing whether to add a single
alist or a list of alists.

Discussing the wrong question takes up time, and when you get
emotional, they are painful to read.  So please try to avoid them.
The more you can avoid them, the sooner we can resolve this.

    If you enable both cua and viper, they both have a post-command-hook
    function which reorders the minor-mode-map-alist to meet their own
    requirements... so in effect you get the minor-mode-map-alist shuffled
    and reshuffled twice after each command.

How does thie relate to the present question (whether to add one alist
or many)?  I do not see the connection.