Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 09:01:57 -0600 (MDT)

    That's ok.  However, for new users, I would like to have something a
    little less overwhelming (and easier to browse) than the full-blown
    customize interface.

Why do you think it is "overwhelming"?  What makes it difficult to
browse?  Perhaps Custom can be improved, but if we want to have any chance
to improve it, we need to think more concretely.

If we want to make a drastic change, we should use the existing Custom
data structure and build another interface to use it.

    >  We should
    > encourage users to use that facility instead.  If it is not good
    > enough, we should improve it.

    Maybe we could create a "preferences" page which contains toggles for,
    say, 25 commonly used options, and also a link to the customize group
    for that option.

I don't understand this proposal.  For instance, you speak of a
"page"; what does that mean here?  Could you use the standard term
for whatever entity you have in mind?

The only "pages" in Emacs are the ones that C-x C-p handles.