Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)
Date: 04 May 2002 20:44:13 +0200

>     That's ok.  However, for new users, I would like to have something a
>     little less overwhelming (and easier to browse) than the full-blown
>     customize interface.
>
> Why do you think it is "overwhelming"?  What makes it difficult to
> browse?  Perhaps Custom can be improved, but if we want to have any chance
> to improve it, we need to think more concretely.

IMO, the custom interface is overwhelming in the sense that it doesn't
really prioritize the options.  As a new user, I would like to see a buffer
with a few checkboxes enabling and disabling major features like:

        [x] Abbreviation mode    [advanced]
        [x] Revert mode          [advanced]

etc  (see my original mail for more examples)...

As a user gets more advanced, he can venture into fine-tuning the various
packages using the customize interface (e.g using the [advanced] button).

> If we want to make a drastic change, we should use the existing Custom
> data structure and build another interface to use it.
>
>     >  We should
>     > encourage users to use that facility instead.  If it is not good
>     > enough, we should improve it.
>
>     Maybe we could create a "preferences" page which contains toggles for,
>     say, 25 commonly used options, and also a link to the customize group
>     for that option.
>
> I don't understand this proposal.  For instance, you speak of a
> "page"; what does that mean here?  Could you use the standard term
> for whatever entity you have in mind?

Sorry, I meant "buffer".