Re: kill ring menu

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 11:46:05 -0600 (MDT)

    It means that if the user decides they don't want any fontification
    (perhaps they find it distracting when viewing an *Occur* or *Kill Ring*
    buffer), then they can just use the normal font-lock mechanism for
    disabling fontification in those buffers.  Or, conversely, if they do
    decide they want it, it's easy to enable; they can just type 'M-x
    font-lock-mode' to toggle things.  It is a good, clean interface.  I
    think every mode should be changed to respect font-lock-mode.

That might be a valid point.  It raises the question: whether it is
better, in these modes that construct special text and can highlight
it, to enable its highlighting by default, or to make it controllable
with M-x font-lock-mode.

In the past we've acted on the view that it is better to highlight
these buffers by default, and the expectation that a considerable
fraction of users won't use Font-Lock mode but will benefit from
highlighting these special buffers.