Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 19:15:15 -0400

>    From: Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden>
>    Date: 03 May 2002 20:39:35 -0400
>
>    > i imagine arrows dancing around the screen, some question like "these
>    > are fringes -- do you belong to the minimalist school of thought; i.e.,
>
> I think that we miss a chapter with this in the manual...

If you're talking about the dancing arrows, I might agree, although
I'd point out that we also miss the corresponding implementation.
As for the fringes, I would rather not advertise the ability to
remove them (to new users).  I didn't like them at first, but I now
think they're really cool (the only thing missing is the "cursor
inside the right fringe" feature which would allow us to display 80
char lines with no wrapping).
I think new users could be tempted to turn them off and never discover
how cool they are (and/or whine about how lame the gdb-arrow looks).

        Stefan