Re: kill ring menu

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 06 May 2002 15:39:39 +0900

Colin Walters <address@hidden> writes:
> I assert (without any statistics) that the vast majority of users put
> (global-font-lock-mode 1) in their ~/.emacs file (thereby loading
> font-lock.el), and expect fontification in every mode, while the
> remaining portion don't want any fontification at all.

I think there needs to be a bit more evidence to justify changing the
status quo.

For my part, I've never seen any complaints on any of the emacs
lists/newsgroups from people that dislike fontification in non-font-lock
modes (this is the important case, because most package currently seem
to either use font-lock, or if not, to default to always having
fontification).

I think it is true that using font-lock is wasteful if all it does is
examine text-properties which could have just as easily been face
properties.

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.