Re: Bad result from stat/fstat on W95

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Bad result from stat/fstat on W95
Date: 06 May 2002 14:45:43 +0100

> I´ve been trying to bootstrap Emacs (from CVS) on Windows 95 and I get
> errors about C:/emacs/lisp/xxx.elc (for any xxx.el) not being writable,
> and C:/emacs/lisp/ not being a directory.
>
> I think the problem is related to one of these changes:
>
> 2002-04-28  Jason Rumney  <address@hidden>
>
>         * w32proc.c (syms_of_w32proc): Get true file attributes by default.
>
>         * w32.c (stat, fstat): Use file index information to generate
>         inodes for directories where available.

I don't have access to a W9x system.  Please try to debug what is
going wrong in stat or fstat.  I was careful to catch errors returned
by the system calls, as support on W9x/ME is known to be lacking.
But perhaps they are returning successfully, but with invalid data.
Can we easily tell if the file index returned is invalid? (eg is it 0
in these cases; probably not or the code would work as before I think).

--
Jason Rumney