Re: kill ring menu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 08:27:24 +0300

> From: Colin Walters <address@hidden>
> Date: 07 May 2002 00:03:59 -0400
>
> if resource consumption is a
> problem, then we should be able to trim down font-lock.el such that if a
> mode implements its own `font-lock-fontify-region' function, all the
> regexp and other machinery wouldn't be loaded.

Just to give you more insight about the efficiency and resource
consumption: these issues popped up several time in the past, and IIRC
the problems uncovered by people who tinkered with and profiled the
relevant code were such that trimming font-lock.el would not solve
them.  For example, in some cases the syntactic fontification causes
Emacs to perform long searches (to find the beginning of a syntactic
entity), and thus slows down redisplay in large buffers, since
font-lock is run by hooks provided by the display engine.

I suggest to search the archives of emacs-devel for related keywords,
if you are interested in the details.

(I'm not saying that I'm for or against the proposal you put forward.
I just commented on something that seems to be related to this
discussion.)