Re: Encoding for auto-save files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Encoding for auto-save files
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 19:33:50 +0300

> From: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 17:47:10 +0200
>
> Emacs always uses emacs-mule for saving auto-save files.  In case a
> user happens to use C-x C-f on an auto-save file, shouldn't Emacs use
> emacs-mule, too?

"M-x recover-file" already does that.

As for "C-x C-f", Emacs just treats #foo# as any other file, and does
its usual encoding-detection guesswork.  Since emacs-mule is very low
on the priority list of that guesswork, you almost always get
something that isn't emacs-mule.

However, if we are sure that files whose names match the pattern
"\\(\\`\\|/\\)#.+#\\'" are mostly Emacs auto-save files, I think
it's a good idea to add an appropriate association to
file-coding-system-alist defined on mule-conf.el.