Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)

From: Alan Shutko
Subject: Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 11:43:36 -0400

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> But what about DocBook?  Doesn't GNOME use it?  KDE does, I think.
> If so, making the Info viewer support DocBook files as well could be
> useful.

I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone uses DocBook files directly
for help support.  They all convert it into HTML and use a minimal
HTML browser.

Also, the help for other major desktop applications is lacking in
functionality, since it is usually just pulling up a HTML file in a
browser.  Rarely context-sensitive, doesn't do multi-page searching,
doesn't usually have an index at all, just a toc, rarely even uses
links of any sort.  Most Gnome and KDE docs are really small in
comparison to the Emacs manual, anyway, and they don't need to face
the same kinds of issues we do.  The only thing their docs have that
we don't is image embedding.

It might be useful to work on the tools the desktop projects use so
that they're more functional, since that would help all projects, but
I'm pretty sure they don't have anything we could use right now.

--
Alan Shutko <address@hidden> - In a variety of flavors!
Paul Revere was a tattle-tale.