Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)
Date: 09 May 2002 01:10:50 +0900

Colin Walters <address@hidden> writes:
> Supporting *all* of HTML certainly would be an enormous effort.  But
> supporting the simple subset that texi2html generates shouldn't be hard.

Perhaps, but would doing so actually convey any benefit?

Here are four potential benefits from using something like html as an
intermediate representation for our docs:

 (1) We could use our browser to view other people's (html) docs
 (2) Other people could view our docs in their html browser
 (3) We could use html-producing tools to make stuff for our browser
 (4) We could feed our docs to html-consuming tools

If implement only a small part of html, then we basically lose benefits
(1) and (3), because our browser won't be featureful enough.
Implementing a full-enough subset to actually be useful for these
purposes is probably quite hard.

If we also _extend_ html -- as we would probably want to do, to retain
all the benefits of info (like whole-document searching) -- then we
_also_ lose benefits (2) and (4).

So... what's the point, again?

-Miles
--
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it
has to be us.  -- Jerry Garcia