Re: Editing the 0x80..0x90 characters

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Editing the 0x80..0x90 characters
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 14:29:09 -0400

> > Currently those coding systems
> > decode into (or encode from) ascii + latin-iso8859-5 + eight-bit-control
> > + eight-bit-graphic.  The idea is to change it to decode into
> > ascii + latin-iso8859-5 + mule-unicode.  So I don't see how the problem
> > is mixed character sets is changed.
>
> I thought that the purpose of that part of the change was to make the
> situation better, not just modify the charsets into which the text is
> decoded.  Sorry if I misunderstood.

;-)
I think the idea was that using mule-unicode is better than using
eight-bit-graphic.  For instance saving in utf-8 should then work.
Also it would solve the problem of dislaying those chars since you then just
need a unicode font (wasn't that the origin of this thread?).

> > What do you think of the patch below ?
> Can you say a few words about its purpose?  I could figure that out from
> the code, but having some description as guidelines would help.  TIA.

I hope the paragraph above makes it more clear.

> > I'm not sure what the koi8-u stuff is about.  I suspect it's also
> > meant for ukrainian so the new language environment should maybe
> > be "Ukrainian" rather than "Cyrillic-KOI8-U" since that's what
> > mule-cmds.el seems to expect for the "uk" locale.
>
> KOI8-U is indeed for the Ukrainian language.  But I don't understand the
> last part: what is the importance of calling the language environment
> "Ukrainian" rather than "Cyrillic-KOI8-U"?  Is that just to make it
> easier for Ukrainian users to understand it's for them, or is there
> something else involved?

Check out mule-cmds.el and you'll see that there is already a mapping
from the "uk" locale to the "Ukrainian" language environment (although
this environment doesn't seem to exist yet).  I don't think the actual name
has any importance otherwise.

        Stefan