Re: Customize fringe

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Customize fringe
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 11:12:51 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> What do you think of this?
>
> I would like you to wait implementing anything like this.
> It is on my TODO list to make fringe configurable
> per buffer/window rather than per frame.
>
> Something like variables left-margin-width / right-margin-width
> and functions set-window-margin / window-margin.
>
> Once that is in place, various modes may fine-tune their
> use of the fringe (e.g. gdb may explicitly enable the left
> fringe for the arrow, and speedbar may turn off both fringes
> by default).

Hm.  Aren't these separate issues?  Fine tuning for each mode would
require per buffer fringes.  But the overall customization by the user
to disable fringes works if default-frame-alist and all existing
frames are modified.  If the fine tuning exist, it can override the
frame wide decision not to have fringes.

My main goal is that it should not be very difficult for the user to
just disable fringes everywhere, much like you can disable the toolbar
and menubar everywhere today.  Fine tuning is useful for re-enabling
fringes in those modes where the user wants them, but couldn't that be
added to fringe.el later?

But I won't do anything if you and others object, of course.