CUA mode cursor color

From: Miles Bader
Subject: CUA mode cursor color
Date: 13 May 2002 10:16:51 +0900

I turned on CUA mode to check it out, and noticed that in addition to
the behavior I expected -- C-x/C-c/C-v cut 'n' paste -- it also changed
my cursor color.

After searching a bit, I found the following in cua-mode.el:

   ;; CUA mode indications
   ;; --------------------
   ;; You can choose to let CUA use different cursor colors to indicate
   ;; overwrite mode and read-only buffers.

[This is apparently on by default too.]

Is there a reason this is part of CUA mode?  Even if it's a nice feature
(and I suppose it is, I was just surprised by it), it seems orthogonal
to the main functionality of CUA mode.

Why not move this stuff into a separate mode -- then people who don't
want CUA mode can use it, and people who just want CUA mode won't have
to go investigate why their cursor color keeps changing.

-Miles

p.s. I was very impressed by how smoothly cua-mode manages to integrate
the seemingly incompatible CUA keybindings into emacs!
--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.