Re: kill ring menu

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 13 May 2002 18:17:38 -0400

On Sat, 2002-05-11 at 02:30, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     I think the group of people suffering due to Colin's change is small,
>     and it knows elisp, so they will be able to customize Emacs to do
>     their bidding.
>
> I want it to be implemented in advance.

Ok.  I have a suggestion.  Currently, the only modes I can think of
included with Emacs where typing M-x font-lock-mode twice doesn't work
are Info and shell-mode (can anyone think of any others?).  So, would
anyone object if I changed them to use a `font-lock-fontify-region'
function?  Then the goal of having every mode use 'M-x font-lock-mode'
as an interface to enabling and disabling fontification would be
complete.

All of the other suggestions so far were optimizations, either in time
or memory space.  This may simply not turn out to be necessary;
Searching for text properties is quite fast, and almost every mode now
uses font-lock.el for fontification anyways.  If they do turn out to be
necessary, then we can figure out what the best way to speed things up
and reduce memory usage is.

On a different but tangentially related topic, are there any guesses for
when 21.4 might be out?  If it's going to be (say) two weeks or less,
then maybe it would be better to defer these changes until 21.5 or
after.