Redisplay bug in latest CVS

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Redisplay bug in latest CVS
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 09:43:17 +0000 (GMT)

This is with latest CVS emacs on GNU/Linux 2.4 (redhat 7.2)
with Xfree 4.(something) running under X:

Save this file in x.c:

f()
{
  switch (a)
    {
    case 1:
                break;
    case 1:
                break;
    }
}

[Notice that the "break;" lines are indented by two TABs].

Start emacs -q and do C-x C-f x.c RET

Now move the cursor _below_ the space in "case 1:", ie.

    case 1:
        X             break;
here....^

Hit TAB.

The screen now looks like (cursor is on the `b'):

    case 1:
      br ak;
?.......^

Doing C-l brings back the missing `e'.

My guess is that if the cursor was on a TAB, the position
occupied by that TAB will be left blank after redisplay.

To see this, indent the "break;" by "TAB SPACE TAB" and
put the cursor on the SPACE and press TAB => correct redisplay.

.. but there must be more to it than that.

I don't have time to investigate this further right now.

--
Kim F. Storm  <address@hidden>      http://www.cua.dk