Re: read key sequence according to input method?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: read key sequence according to input method?
Date: 15 May 2002 00:25:34 +0900

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> Yes, this looks quite nice.  Thanks a lot!  I'll continue that other
> thread about replacing C-x 8 with something based on your suggestion.

Ah, so that's what you want it for...

I think that's even simpler; the following seems to actually work pretty
well (though no doubt there are corner cases that need addressing):

(defun insert-latin1-character ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((prev-input-method current-input-method))
    (unwind-protect
        (progn
          (activate-input-method 'latin-1-prefix)
          (apply #'insert (funcall input-method-function (read-event))))
      (activate-input-method prev-input-method))))

One nice thing about the old implementation, though, is that you can get
help by typing `C-h' during input...

-Miles
--
A zen-buddhist walked into a pizza shop and
said, "Make me one with everything."