Re: Listing process status in buffer list

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: Listing process status in buffer list
Date: 14 May 2002 20:47:21 -0400

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 15:42, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     By the way, in various buffer lists
>     .*  *compilation*      58  Compilation
>     should also mention if its process is running or not, I suppose along
>     with shell window listings, etc.
>
> That is a good idea, and would not be hard to implement if
> list-buffers is taught to look in some new buffer-local variable for
> some extra text to put at the end of the line.
>
> Would someone like to do it?

I should probably point out that ibuffer already has a process column,
and if it didn't it would be easy to define it oneself:

(define-ibuffer-column process ()
  (ibuffer-aif (get-buffer-process buffer)
      (format "(%s %s)" it (process-status it))
    "none"))

Then put `process' anywhere in your `ibuffer-formats'.
I personally use:

(setq ibuffer-formats '((mark modified read-only " " (name 16 16 :left :elide)
" "
                                (size 6 -1 :right) " "
                                (mode 16 16 :center :elide)
                                " " (process 8 -1) " " filename)
                          (mark " " (name 16 -1) " " filename)))

This displays the process entry right before the filename.