Re: Apropos commands and regexps

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Apropos commands and regexps
Date: 15 May 2002 20:23:35 +0900

> Are you suggesting all apropos commands should work by keywords
> instead of by regexps?

The way I envisioned it was all apropos commands taking _list_ of
regexps (separated by whitespace/commas), and applying them in an `and'
manner.  That way, the case where each element is a simple word word
would act like a typical keyword search, and the case where there's
only one entry would act like the current single-regexp implementation.

Given the particular nature of apropos usage in emacs, I think there
wouldn't be any conflict in practice from using whitespace/commas as
the list delimiters.

There might also be other things we can do, like if a term begins with
an alphabetic character, anchor it with \<.  [anchoring the end is
probably not a good idea, because people often expect searches to match
prefixes, I think.]

-Miles
--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?