Re: German tutorial fix

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: German tutorial fix
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 15:52:14 +0300

> From: address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 12:37:46 +0200
>
> I only meant: WIBNI the tutorial explained <home> and <end>?  Maybe
> it could list the `cursor block' equivalents wherever applicable.  So
> <left> could be mentioned as an alternative to C-b, M-<left> and
> C-<left> as an alternative to M-b, and so on.
>
> Hm.  Maybe these are all obvious these days and need not be
> mentioned?  I vaguely recall this has been discussed before but I
> don't remember the outcome.

IMHO, the tutorial needs to be reworked, now that basic cursor motion
is no longer a mystery for novices.  So the "BASIC CURSOR CONTROL"
section should be a lot shorter than it is now.  It should just tell
that cursor motion keys ``work as usual'', and show the keyboard
equivalents of the editing keys (C-n for <down>, C-f for <right>,
etc.), telling the new users they are advised to learn them because
those keys allow for faster typing.

This should significantly reduce the 150 lines we devote to something
everybody knows nowadays.  We could then add to the tutorial stuff
that is important, but isn't there, without risking to bloat the file
too much.  Some ideas for things to add:

  - Options menu and Customize
  - Frames
  - Region and the mark
  - Command history in the minibuffer