Re: kill ring menu

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 17 May 2002 04:36:06 +0900

Colin Walters <address@hidden> writes:
> Yes, I did; I'm running a `shell' with the changes now.  What problems
> did you have?

There are a few problems (these are based on examination, since I don't
want to apply all those changes):

 1) The prompt face on the `active' prompt doesn't properly interact
    with input (that is, if the prompt is extended because the process
    outputs more, it should get the prompt face, but something the user
    types shouldn't inherit it).  You can see this by doing something
    like:  `for x in 1 2 3 4 5; do echo -n $x; sleep 1; done' and then
    typing while it's outputting.

 2) The prompt face incorrectly gets left on non-prompt output text if
    the output occurs in multiple chunks where the first one doesn't
    end with a newline (e.g., try `echo -n hello; sleep 1; echo world').

 3) The name of one of the categories is wrong -- `comint-sent-output'
    is used on input!

[and also ....
 4) The changes appear rather shoehorned in; if comint is going to be
    changed to use text properties instead of overlays (and I think it
    should be, now that cutting and pasting discards `field' properties),
    it ought to be done properly.
]

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche