Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs
Date: 17 May 2002 01:41:30 +0200

>     So it's basically equivalent to
>
>     (defun mini-menu (menu)
>       (message (mapconcat #'cadr menu "  "))
>       (call-interactively (or (nth 2 (assoc (read-char) menu))
>                             (error "Unknown key"))))
>
>     ?
>
>     I'm not sure this warrants a whole separate package...  [does it do more?]
>
> If it does more than the built-in keyboard-based menu handling, I
> think we should extend or improve the built-in keyboard-based menu
> handling rather than providing two alternative similar features.

As I said in another mail, the HierarKey function could be
simplified, e.g. hitting M-g produces this prompt (my
frame is 132 character wide):

  Set face: default  (M-g d), bold  (M-g b), italic  (M-g i), l = bold-italic
(M-g l), undeline  (M-g u), Other ...  (M-g o)

With mini-menu, this would be much simpler, e.g.

  Set face: d)efault b)old i)talic bo(l)d-italic u)ndeline o)ther ...

I guess we could hack the HierarKey menus to look like that --
then mini-menu would definitely have no purpose at all!