Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 18:49:21 -0400

> I've never liked M-x grep for the very reason that I have to edit the command.

I like it precisely because I can write any command I want ;-)
For example, I can use grep, egrep, fgrep, with/without case
sensitivity, with/without context lines, ...

> > > This is VERY useful (I use it very often), and to use the current
> > > directory, just hit RET.
> >
> > I must say that I generally prefer the C-u M-x grep approach which does
> > not force you into a series of questions, but just presents you with
> > the "complete default" and lets you edit it to your liking.
>
> One additional trick is that M-x match prompts you for the directory
> using ido-read-directory, meaning that it is very easy to navigate to
> a completely different base directory.

Hopefully we can merge some of that functionality into eshell's
command completion and use eshell's completion for M-x grep (and
M-! and M-| and M-x compile and ...).

> Right.  I'll look at the new grep code (I wasn't aware that grep had been
> rewritten) as well as my own code again to see whether I can enhance the
> standard code rather than add a separate package.

It hasn't been rewritten at all.  I've just slightly improved the default
command offered when you hit C-u M-x grep.  A couple one-liners at most.

> BTW, M-x match uses jit-lock to fontify the matches in the *Match*
> buffer.

It would be great to use jit-lock for *compilation* buffers as well,
but a lot more work than for the specific case you're dealing with :-(

> And when you visit a match, it is temporarily highlighted in
> the target buffer (using an overlay).

That might be a good feature as well.  I have a similar feature for
sml-mode where the compiler's output includes a start and end point
for errors (the type-inference algorithm used by the language means
that some type errors are difficult for the compiler to locate).
But it's an ugly hack.  We should make such support more widespread
for all compilation buffers.

> I wasn't aware of the HierarKey feature (it's a very well hidden "fact").
> It compares almost 1:1 ... except I don't like HierarKey menus
> to show the full key bindings, e.g.
>
>   Set face: default  (M-g d), bold  (M-g b), italic  (M-g i), l = bold-italic
>  (M-g l), undeline  (M-g u), Other ...  (M-g o)

I tend to agre.  Maybe we should just change it.  Or move the M-g prefix
to the beginning of the line (so it appears only once).

        Stefan