Re: German tutorial fix

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: German tutorial fix
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 13:28:39 -0600 (MDT)

    IMHO, the tutorial needs to be reworked, now that basic cursor motion
    is no longer a mystery for novices.  So the "BASIC CURSOR CONTROL"
    section should be a lot shorter than it is now.  It should just tell
    that cursor motion keys ``work as usual'', and show the keyboard
    equivalents of the editing keys (C-n for <down>, C-f for <right>,
    etc.), telling the new users they are advised to learn them because
    those keys allow for faster typing.

I have doubts about this change.

    What I think we don't need is to explain, demonstrate, and drill the
    user in basic cursor motion.

Drilling them is what teaches them to use C-f rather than an arrow key.
So maybe it is still worth while to drill them.

    too much.  Some ideas for things to add:

      - Options menu and Customize
      - Frames
      - Region and the mark
      - Command history in the minibuffer
      - M-x compile and M-x grep

The region seems like the most important one to add.
The others don't seem basic enough.