Re: German tutorial fix

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: German tutorial fix
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 15:55:52 +0300

> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Date: 18 May 2002 21:12:50 +0900
>
> > All they usually memorize is maybe ten different keybindings, they use
> > the mouse and the menus for the rest, like they do for almost any
> > other program in the world.
>
> If your students are so fearful, lazy, or busy that they'll only learn
> ten different keybindings, then I'd say they're better off just using
> the menus, and probably don't even need the tutorial.

The tutorial is the gate to Emacs.  We advertise it and urge the users
to read it before evrything else.  If we want them to become better
users, we should make the tutorial more useful and more appealing to
their ``way cool!'' feelings.

If you agree with the above principles, then you will agree that (a)
even the lazy users should be tutorial's target audience, and (b) we
shouldn't put those users to sleep right away by wasting 150 lines on
basic cursor motion.

Please note that I'm not as extreme as Francesco: I don't think we
should remove the cursor motion discussion altogether, or never
mention C-f and C-b.  I just think we don't need to talk about that
as much as it was necessary in 1990, say.