Re: German tutorial fix

From: Andreas Fuchs
Subject: Re: German tutorial fix
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 15:11:33 +0200

Today, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> The tutorial is the gate to Emacs.  We advertise it and urge the users
> to read it before evrything else.  If we want them to become better
> users, we should make the tutorial more useful and more appealing to
> their ``way cool!'' feelings.

Hm, I might have pondered this before (not here), but what about
splitting the tutorial up in two parts? One for users new to emacs (but
who can edit files already, maybe used vi before), and one for users who
are new to editing with emacs (who have used pico or notepad before).

I guess that would look something like:

basic tutorial:
  * motion commands
  * ...

advanced tutorial:
  * dired
  * customize
  * ...

This is just a rough draft, and I have not yet worked through the
tutorial, looking for things which belong in each part, but I guess
that this should enable more advanced users to plunge into emacs
without having their brains shrivel away, as well as newbies who are
not so sure of their editing powers.

> If you agree with the above principles, then you will agree that (a)
> even the lazy users should be tutorial's target audience, and (b) we
> shouldn't put those users to sleep right away by wasting 150 lines on
> basic cursor motion.

to (b) I agree, but I guess that my suggestion would allow less
advanced users get their feet wet emacs more quickly, the way the
current tutorial does now.

--
Andreas Fuchs, <address@hidden>, address@hidden, antifuchs