Re: Reading directory names with read-file-name

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Reading directory names with read-file-name
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 16:00:12 -0700 (PDT)

> From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
>
> I propose to add a sixth argument READ-DIR to read-file-name
> which indicates that we are reading a directory name, and
> not just any file name.

More generally, shouldn't the READ-DIR argument specify constraints on
the desired file type?  For example, in many instances you want a
non-directory.

How about allowing READ-DIR to be any predicate, so that the invoker
of read-file-name can filter file names in arbitrary ways?  I suspect
that this would subsume read-file-name's existing MUSTMATCH argument
to some extent, since MUSTMATCH=t would be roughly equivalent to
READ-DIR=file-exists-p, but I can't think of a cleaner extension
offhand.