Re: defvar vs setqif..

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: defvar vs setqif..
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 15:24:20 -0400

> how can a definition-finding function tell which of the several
> defvar's it may encounter.  AFAICT, there is no way for a
> definition-finding function like tag-creation-function to tell which
> is the 'defining' defvar and which is not...

There should be only one (defvar <var> <val>) form per variable.
All others should only be (defvar <var>).
Admittedly, this cannot always be done conveniently, but I don't
think the problematic cases happen often, far from it.
Do you have evidence otherwise ?

> but that's why i had an 'if' at the end.. to suggest that setq only if
> not already defined.. else don't setq..

When have you needed that ?
(I mean actual concrete examples)

        Stefan