Re: Emacs 21.2 display bugs: variables: cursor-type; properties: display

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.2 display bugs: variables: cursor-type; properties: display, before-string, after-string, invisible, intangible
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 09:57:35 -0600 (MDT)

    I don't understand this, because when the cursor blinks off for me, it
    disappears completely.

We have probably changed this since 21.2.

    It seems to me that the shape and color of the cursor should be
    selectable for each situation.  So you could make the cursor "blink"
    by changing color or thickness instead of disappearing.

Sure, we could do that, but that is clunky--it means lots and lots
more variables to customize, and I doubt it is worth the trouble
to add them all.  I would rather try the simpler change I proposed.