Re: strange keymap bugs

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: strange keymap bugs
Date: 21 May 2002 06:01:55 -0400

On Mon, 2002-05-20 at 10:48, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     Then go to the "Operate" menu.  On my system, the option which should be
>     labeled "Kill" (`ibuffer-do-delete') is instead labeled "Apply Patch".
>
> That failure does not happen for me now.

Hmm.  Strange.  I will try to track this down, then.

> For the keyboard, it overrides some bindings, but I think that making
> two submenus is normal behavior in a menu when there are multiple
> bindings for the same menu item.  There is no code to merge the
> different keymaps to make one menu, and I am not sure that would be
> the right thing in general, even if it is what you want in this case.

Ah.  So the solution is just to not set the keymap parent, and then
there will be no duplicate menu keybindings.  I don't know why I did
that in the first place; I think it was because I was originally using
the `local-map' property, but that brought its own problems.

Anyways, it works now.  Thanks!