Re: Fringes again

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Fringes again
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 22:53:01 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
>> I'm not sure if there was any consensus in the last discussion, but at
>> least there were some voices that wanted it to be possible to disable
>> the fringes from the menu (I remember Richard said it at least).
>>
>> So, how about if I commit this?
>
> Um, please no.  You appear to have ignored most of the arguments.

Were there more than in this mail?

> The menu entries are probably uncontroversial because they allow
> choosing from a set of different styles.

OK.

> However, you've retained the simple toggling version of `M-x fringe-mode',
> and there seemed to be a reasonable concensus that the M-x command
> shouldn't just turn off the fringes, but rather should do something like
> prompt for a fringe style.  There were several good ideas presented.
>
> Why not implement one of those?

I never understood exactly how the ideas were supposed to work, but
I've now implemented one approach below.  It makes the user interface
of fringe.el similar as mouse-avoidance-mode.el.  Is this OK?

> Another criticism is that you define a command called `toggle-fringe'
> who's distinguishing feature is (apparently) that it only affects the
> current frame -- if this is the case, it should probably reflect that in
> the command name.
>
> Granted there are plenty of functions that only affect the current frame,
> but don't have a name that says so, but it really is a bad idea to define
> two `similar' commands, one affecting all frames, and the other affecting
> only the current one, and to distinguish between them only by choosing two
> different-but-apparently-equivalent names.

It is consistent with how `toggle-scroll-bar' and `scroll-bar-mode'
already behaves.  The docstring and the prompt triggered by invoking
`toggle-fringe' and `fringe-mode' should now be clear.  Is this OK, or
can you suggest alternative names?