Re: [usability] mouse-1 for performing actions?

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: [usability] mouse-1 for performing actions?
Date: 21 May 2002 23:24:18 +0200

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
   Btw, do ANY other application have this mouse1 + mouse3 mark text
   feature?

gpm does it.

But apparently this is not the standard with X applications.

rxvt (similar to xterm) does not use this technique.  Rather, it uses
dragging mouse1 to select a region.  But once a region is selected, you
can extend it on both sides using mouse3.

Netscape, as far as I can see, only uses dragging.

Probably, Emacs should use the same conventions as the Gnome
applications.  Anyone knows if there is such a standard?

   I haven't seen it before.  IMHO dropping this feature in
   favor of activating buttons and links with mouse-1 is more user
   friendly (except for old time Emacs users) as it is consistent with
   how other applications behave.

Emacs is oriented towards editing, not navigating.  Having mouse1 on a
link jump to that link is not what commonly one would expect from an
editor.