Re: kill ring menu

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 22 May 2002 11:14:49 +0900

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> > It should be something like (say):
> >
> >    (font-lock-face-category 'info-title-face)
>
> Why not just have a buffer-local variable `info-title-category'
> which holds the uninterned symbol ?

Well, the main point is that font-lock should take care of all the
details of creating the uninterned symbols and associating them in some
very-easy-and-straighforward way with the interned names the user code
uses.

I actually prefer a function call like that, since I think it makes it
more clear where the value is coming from.  Also, the compiler is going
to bitch at you unless you add `defvar's for all the variables used
(even though it's font-lock that will be setting them), which means one
more place you have to worry about keeping consistent.

-Miles
--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  --Albert Einstein