Re: [usability] mouse-1 for performing actions?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: [usability] mouse-1 for performing actions?
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 11:53:46 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>> AFAIK, Emacs does not support drag-and-drop, only
>> cut/copy-and-paste.  I think Karl is speaking of drag-and-drop.
>
> Well, emacs supports the `select with the mouse, and then insert
> elsewhere with mouse-2' which is basically `drag-n-drop for text'
> (and fairly standard across X apps).

Cut-and-paste is functionally equivalent to drag-and-drop, but the
interface is different.  I just tried nedit, it supports
drag-and-drop: you mark something with mouse-1, then press mouse-2 on
it, then drag the mouse and you will see the text move in real-time,
as you move the mouse.  Releasing the mouse button then finishes the
move.

Drag-and-drop gives the user more feedback about what happens.

kai
--
Silence is foo!