Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 16:27:18 -0600 (MDT)

    I tried that with actual bold characters, and it seems reasonable -- a
    single bold character doesn't stand out all that much, but it can be
    seen (using my fonts at least), and has the advantage of not obscuring
    the actual labels like some puncuation does.

    An alternative would be to use underlining, which would match what many
    menu systems use to indicate key-to-letter-in-a-menu-label correspondences.
    I also find that underlining makes the keys more obvious, also without
    obscuring the labels.

Whether it is bold or underlined is just a matter of how
we define the face that it uses, right?

    One point about this style: I tried with both one and two spaces as
    separators following the commas, and I found it much more readable with
    two spaces.

Do you feel it needs two spaces *and* a comma?  What about
if we delete the spaces around the ='s, as Mario Lang suggested?

    Is there any reason we couldn't make it call out to lisp to do the
    formatting?

It's ok with me if someone finds it easy to do.