Re: German tutorial fix

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: German tutorial fix
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 19:45:05 +0000 (UTC)

   Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

   > It's easily observable by any touch-typist, by (1) taking some time to
   > get used to the control-keys, and (2) trying both for about 3 seconds
   > while typing in some text.  It's not a subtle thing.

   I do not find it easily observable.  I bet it also depends on keyboard
   layout and customizations outside of Emacs.

Do please tell me your keyboard and customizations.

I just tried Miles' experiment on a QWERTY keyboard, with the arrow
keys to the lower right.  By counting how many I could press in 5 and
10 seconds, I found that I can press C-n or C-p in 200 milliseconds or
so and press an arrow key in 800 milliseconds or so.  (Presumably,
with more practice, I could speed up my arrow key press time, but
still, that action has to take longer than pressing a control key
since it requires moving my right hand two rows down and 3.5 rows to
the right but pressing a control-chord does not require moving my
hands, just my fingers.)

As far as I can see, the arrow keys are as Miles says, *more obvious*.
But in my experience, on the computer keyboards I have been using for
the past generation, they are less efficient than control keys.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com