Re: Fringes again

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Fringes again
Date: 24 May 2002 09:07:16 +0900

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
> Does anyone have any opinions on the attached code?

Looks good to me.

A few little nits:

  * I think you should use `left-only' and `right-only' instead of
    `leftonly' and `rightonly' -- they're easier to read and more
    consistent with general elisp style.

  * It would be useful if the doc-strings for `set-fringe-style' and
    `set-fringe-mode' referenced each other explicitly, since the names
    are so similar that they may cause some confusion.

When I tried out your code, I noticed a few problems with the underlying
non-default-fringe support (but they aren't problems in your code), in
particular:

  (1) When non-default fringes are active, the vertical line separating
      two vertically-split windows (from C-x 3) gets messed up,
      apparently because it's not allocated space correctly, and gets
      drawn in the fringe instead (so the line alternatively gets drawn
      and erased on different lines as redisplay changes happen).

  (2) When you give both left and right fringes reduced widths, but the
      display code needs to add some more space (because the sum of the
      fringe widths doesn't add up to a multiple of the default-font
      character width), then it seems to allocate all the extra space
      to the _left_ fringe, which seems backwards -- users probably
      would prefer that any extra space go into the right fringe, since
      it's much less noticable.

> I have one remaining question: How do you find out the default fringe
> width?  Right now it is hard coded to 10.

I thought (without having looked at the code) it was 8 pixels rounded
up to a multiple of the width of a character in the default font.

-Miles
--
Is it true that nothing can be known?  If so how do we know this?  -Woody Allen