Re: Reading directory names with read-file-name

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Reading directory names with read-file-name
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 17:59:33 -0400

>     However, one of the candidates for an improvement could be
>     file-name-all-completions adding a third PREDICATE arg.
>     However, I think that's still not feasible for the reasons
>     I mentioned in my previous mail.
>
> There is no need to get that discouraged!  You have pointed out a
> complication, but a complication does not mean it is unfeasible.  It
> just means a little more work is needed.
>
> You can fix the file name handlers--in fact, they may not even need
> any change.  Please take a look and see if they need any change.

FWIW I don't think that file-name-all-completions and file-name-completion
need to be changed at all in order to implement the PREDICATE argument
for read-file-name.
It might be convenient to do so, but if there really is a serious
issue with the file-name-handlers, we can always revert to implementing
the PREDICATE in read-file-name-internal (I have an elisp version
of it, if you prefer using that).

        Stefan