Re: display question: should ^N and \NNN widths be fixed?

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: display question: should ^N and \NNN widths be fixed?
Date: 27 May 2002 02:48:14 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

   Emacs will support bidirectional display [...]

   The current code in indent.c assumes that buffer positions increase
   monotonically with screen positions.  I'm not saying that you should do
   my job of lifting that limitation, but please keep this in mind when you
   design and code the new indent.c, so that changing it for bidi Emacs
   would not be harder than it is today.

what makes it difficult to support this lifting, today?  what makes supporting
that lifting difficult in general?

thi