Re: kill ring menu

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 30 May 2002 18:41:03 -0400

On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 03:24, Miles Bader wrote:

> No, that's wrong I think; they are primitives, whereas this feature is
> intended (in my mind) as a higher-level wrapper that only affects things
> like display.

Or alternatively, we could view it as a primitive feature, much like
default-text-properties.  In fact, this turns out to be entirely trivial
to implement.  See attached patch.

> Perhaps it would be most convenient if each primitive could _optionally_
> lookup alternatives (e.g., add an optional parameter
> `respect-alternatives' or somethign), so it's easy for programmers to
> get either view -- but the default should be not to.

This becomes an enormous pain.  It would require a great deal of code
change, and for what benefit?

Most importantly, backwords compatibility won't be broken with this
patch.  It's easier to use than the category approach for what we want,
and as you said, it easily allows for more complex effects.

And finally, it should be easy for the XEmacs people to implement
something similar; they can probably just add the extra layer of
indirection inside `extent-property' (although I haven't looked).