Re: How am I supposed to make a buffer read-only?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: How am I supposed to make a buffer read-only?
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 05:42:17 -0600 (MDT)

    > Is there someone who does not feel strongly on the issue
    > who will volunteer to analyze the results of a poll about this?

    I'm volunteering for that.

Thank you.

    Let me know how to go about it.  I would write up the actual poll
    questions myself, too, unless you already have something prepared.

Please start by doing that.  Add text saying that we ask people to
explain the reason for their preference, because we are going to look
at the reasons, not simply count "votes".  Ask people to explain and
give examples of the situations in which they prefer one behavior or
the other.

When this is written, please send it to me so I can review and edit
it.

For each poll we set up a special email address on gnu.org that dumps
all the mail into a file.  We should use that address in the Reply-to
field and in the From field when sending the poll message, so as to
make sure replies go to the right place.  It is best to state in
sentences at the end of the message that that is the place to send
replies.  Let's use the name emacs-vc-poll, unless you can think of a
better name.