Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 21:37:29 -0400

> Good point.  I thought before about the case where the menu was larger
> than the largest minibuffer size -- but though such menus would be rare,
> so support could be added later.  I guess not so rare after all...

Note that I don't know how common the problem is.  After all, in my case,
there's only 1 line, but it's about 230 chars long, so it shouldn't
be a problem (except that the code currently uses the selected frame instead
of the minibuffer's frame to determine the max line length, so it thinks
the minibuffer only has 80 chars per line).

>      if resize-mini-windows == nil
>        max-height is 1
>      else if max-mini-window-height is an integer
>        max-height is max-mini-window-height
>      else
>        max-height is min (1, trunc (frame-height * max-mini-window-height))

This last line doesn't look right.  The min(1,x) will always be 1.

> Does a minibuffer-only frame have to be special-cased?

I think so: it has a max-mini-window-height of 1.0.

        Stefan

PS: about the delay, I'd tend to agree that it's a bit surprising
    how eagerly the menu is displayed, but it has never bothered me.