Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs
Date: 06 Jun 2002 21:41:01 +0900

> The patch seems like a good idea, but I notice that it does a considerable
> amount of manipulation of the menu data in C.  Couldn't that be moved
> to Lisp also?  The menu key bindings are Lisp data.

It could be, but it seemed nice to have the format sent to lisp be
something simple and well defined -- raw keymaps are pretty complicated,
and the details tend to change over time.  I think the less places that
have to know about all the implementation details of keymaps, the
better.

The code in keyboard.c already has to deal with it, so it's natural to
keep the complexity there; also there's a convenient function
`parse_menu_item' in the C code which takes care of some of the
complexity.

-Miles
--
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it
has to be us.  -- Jerry Garcia