Re: kill ring menu

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 10 Jun 2002 13:29:12 +0900

Colin Walters <address@hidden> writes:
> One other thing I forgot to mention that you have to do is set up
> `font-lock-defaults' so that global font-lock knows to turn on.  I just
> added a bit to the elisp manual about how to do this; basically you need
> to add:
>
> (set (make-local-variable 'font-lock-defaults)
>           '(nil t nil nil nil (font-lock-core-only . t)))

The stuff with `font-lock-core-only' seems ugly.

Since using `char-property-alias-alist' is so absurdly cheap, why not
just make global-font-lock-mode turn on font-lock-mode for _every_
buffer, but only load the hairy stuff if `font-lock-defaults' is
non-nil?

Then modes wouldn't have to do anything to use font-locking, just start
adding the property to their buffer.

-Miles
--
.Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're guessing.