Re: new text property

From: Hrvoje Niksic
Subject: Re: new text property
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 15:32:50 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Don't get hung up on the traditional conflation of the font-lock UI
> with the mechanism used to implement it; it's really not necessary.

Why not?  Font-lock is not only about the hairy regexps that implement
it; it's also about respecting the settings for font-lock-*-face and
variables such as font-lock-maximum-decoration,
font-lock-auto-fontify, font-lock-maximum-size, etc.  A highlighting
mechanism that doesn't respect any of those has no reason to be bound
by `M-x font-lock-mode' either.

I'm not a font-lock hacker, I just think that overloading the meaning
of `M-x font-lock-mode' might not be such a good idea.  Confusing the
two will lead people to try to use other font-lock settings in
non-font-lock environments, and that will silently fail.

So, between your choices of (1) and (2), either is OK if done right.
But I'd rather leave things as they are than do the wrong thing.